Photo from the Centennial edition of the Daily Tribune-Republican
of Saturday morning, 1888.
WILLIAM McARTHUR, real estate dealer,
Meadville, was born in this city, October 19, 1815, and is a son of
William and Rebecca (McClean) McArthur. His father was born in Ireland,
and came to America about the close of the Revolutionary war, taught
school in York County, and studied surveying with the McCleans, and when
Pennsylvania lands came into market he came in 1794 to Meadville, and
laid out the town for Gen. Meade. He was appointed District Surveyor,
and in 1800 was elected State Senator for the district composed of
Crawford, Erie, Venango, Warren and Mercer Counties, his opponent being
Gen. David Meade. He served two terms in the Legislature (the capital
was then Lancaster), and he rode back and forth spring and fall on
horseback over the mountains during said terms. While he was State
Senator he was appointed by the Governor, Simon Snyder, Prothonotary of
this county, and also Register and Recorder, which positions he filled
until his decease in 1822. Our subjects mother, Rebecca McClean, was of
ScotchIrish descent, and a daughter of Col. Moses McClean, who served
in the Revolutionary war, and who, with his brothers, helped survey the
famous Mason and Dixons linein fact, had run the line from Cape Henlopen, or Cornelius, to the Chesapeake Bay, the north line, and the
twelve-mile circle round the New Castle Court House before Mason and
Dixon came to this country. These lines were run between 1760 and 1763.
Mason and Dixon came in 1764, accepted the work already done, and with
the former Surveyors ran the celebrated Mason and Dixons line westward.
Our subject, who is the fifth of a family of six, received his education
in the academy at Meadville. He then learned carpentering, and also
worked at millwrighting. In 1840 he was appointed Justice of the Peace
by Gov. David R. Porter, and in 1842 was elected Prothonotary and Clerk
of the several courts for Crawford County, which offices he served until
1845. Mr. McArthur was married in 1848 to Helen Hines, a niece of Col.
James Corban, of this county. She died in 1855, and in 1872 he married
Mrs. Hersh, widow of Rev. Chares Hersh, of Baltimore, Md., whose maiden
name was Mary McClean. He has four children by his first wife. Mr. and
Mrs. McArthur are members of the Park Avenue Congregational Church,
under the charge of Rev. James G. Carnachan, D. P.
History of Crawford County,
Pennsylvania: containing a
history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools,
churches, industries, etc., portraits of early settlers and prominent
men, biographies, history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous
matter, Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co., 1885, page 749-750