L. J. A. LESSER, dealer in rubber stamps, etc., Ridgway, was
born in Warren county, Penn., December 21, 1863, a son of Philip and
Caroline (Leonhart) Lesser, natives of Sundhausen, Alsace, Germany. They
were married in 1862, and with their parents settled in and about Warren,
where are now many of their descendants. Philip Lesser is a blacksmith,
who moved to Ridgway in 1868, and first occupied the house on Centre
street, now owned by E. E. Willard; then he lived in a house on South
street, now owned by B. E. Wilcox, afterward building a home of his own on
Centre street, directly opposite the place he first occupied. Mr. and Mrs.
Lesser have four sons living, viz.: L. J. A., Charles Edward, Franklin
Theodore and Leonard Luther.
L. J. A. Lesser was reared in the faith of the Lutheran Church, of
which his parents are members, and was confirmed April 15, 1881, by Rev.
John Sander, A. M., then pastor of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church
at Ridgway, of which church Mr. Lesser is still an active member. For five
years he was superintendent of the Sunday-school; in 1886 was elected a
member of the church council, and is now the teacher of the Bible class in
the Sunday-school. He attended different select schools, and was one of a
class of four, which was graduated from the Ridgway High School, May 30,
1882, the graduating feature being introduced after he left school, and he
returning to receive this additional honor. In October, 1880, Mr. Lesser
obtained a situation as clerk in the store at Brockport, owned by the
Keystone Lumber Company, and after remaining there for two months,
returned home and was immediately employed by the Northwestern Mining &
Exchange Company of Dagus Mines, as an agent at the Daguscahonda Railroad
terminus, remaining here one month, when he was transferred to the central
office at Dagus Mines, where he remained one year, when he returned to
Ridgway for the purpose of graduating, as already referred to. August 15,
1882, he became engaged in the manufacture and sale of proprietary
medicines for D. B. Day, of Ridgway, in whose employ he has since
remained. Mr. Lesser married, June 7, 1888, Miss Annie, a daughter of
George and Mary Ann Truman, of Sigel, Penn., and they have one child,
Clyde Truman Lesser, born July 13, 1889. March 18, 1886, he was initiated
in Ridgway Lodge, No. 969, I. 0. 0. F., and has served as trustee for more
than three years consecutively, being the present secretary; has passed
all honors in the subordinate lodge, and is a member of the Grand Lodge of
Pennsylvania, having been representative to the same. In March, 1888, he
joined Ridgway Council, No. 1081, Royal Arcanum; he was also a member and
secretary of the Laurel Hook and Ladder Company, from its organization to
its abandonment. Mr. Lesser is an ardent Republican, and was corresponding
secretary for the “Harrison and Morton Club,” that performed such
effective campaign work in 1888. He established his present rubber stamp
and stencil business in 1881, and has a fine and. growing trade in the
manufacture and sale of these goods.
History of the counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
with biographical selections, including their early settlement and development,
a description of the historic and interesting localities, sketches of their
cities, towns and villages, portraits of prominent men, biographies of
representative citizens, outline history of Pennsylvania, statistics.. Chicago. J.H.
Beers & Co.. 1890, page 732-733.
Read this book on line
Search Hundreds of 1880s-1890s Pennsylvania County History
Books for biographies and historical information
on your ancestors. View the book page images on line and print them
out for your genealogy file!
Free Access to the old history books - plus birth & death records, census images and ALL other records at ancestry.com