The Craig family are descended from William Craig, of
Stirlingshire, Scotland, who, to escape the persecution of the
Presbyterians by James I, settled at Dungannon, Ireland. Four of his sons
and several of his daughters emigrated to America. The sons were Thomas,
Daniel, James, and William. Sarah Craig, one of the daughters, was born in
1706 and married Richard Walker, Esq., a prominent resident of Warrington
township, Bucks county. She died April 24, 1784. Margaret Craig, another
daughter, married John Gray, of the same place. She died in 1782, leaving
two sons, John and James, and two daughters. Jane Craig, another daughter,
married Thomas Boyd of Allen township, and had two sons, Robert and
Daniel Craig, settled on a tract of 250 acres in Warrington township,
Bucks County, where he died in June, 1776, having been totally blind for
some years. His widow, Margaret, survived him, with eight children:
Thomas; John; William; Margaret, wife of James Barclay; Sarah, wife of
John Barnhill; Jane, wife of Samuel Barnhill; Mary Lewis; and Rebecca,
wife of Hugh Stephenson. His son Thomas took a prominent part in the
Revolution, was commissioned a captain, October 23, 1776, and commanded a
company in Col. Baxter's "Flying Camp" in the battle of Fort Washington,
November, 1776. He served throughout the war and at its close was
Commissioner of Purchases with the rank of colonel. He married Jean
Jamison. Sarah Craig, who married John Barnhill, survived her husband, who
at his death in 1797, was a merchant at 42 North Third Street,
Philadelphia. They had three children: Robert, Margaret, and Sarah.
Robert Barnhill, born in 1754, married Margaret Potts, daughter of John
Potts, of Germantown. He succeeded to his father's business and died in
1814. His daughter, Margaret, married Cornelius Van Schaich Roosevelt,
grandfather of President Theodore Roosevelt.
James Craig settled in the vicinity of the Presbyterian Church at
Weaversville, where he purchased 250 acres from William Allen on June 13,
1743, and deeded the land for the church and graveyard to the Presbyterian
congregation. He lived to an advanced age and although palsied, was always
carried to church on Sundays by his sons. His wife died previous to April
16, 1774. He had sons: William, Thomas and Robert. William married
Elizabeth Brown, sister of Gen. Robert Brown, and removed to
Northumberland county, where he died March 19, 1810. Robert married Esther
Brown and died March 19, 1818, leaving sons: James, Samuel, William, John,
Robert and Joseph.
Thomas Craig, Esq., the founder of the "Irish Settlement" or "Craig's
Settlement", purchased 212 acres adjoining his brother Daniel's land in
Bucks County, which he conveyed in 1753 to James Barclay, who had married
his niece, Margaret Craig. In 1728 he removed to Allen township, then a
part of Bucks county, now Northampton county, where he was the leading
citizen for many years and one of the first justices of the peace in 1752.
In 1731 his name occurs as the first elder of the Presbyterian
congregation of Allentown township, in the roll of the synod at
Philadelphia. He lived on a tract of 500 acres purchased from Caspar
Wistar, by deed dated March 28, 1739, and died in 1779 at an advanced age.
His wife, Mary, died July 14, 1772, aged 75 years. He had sons: William
and Thomas. William was the first sheriff of Northampton county in 1752,
and had children: Thomas, Hugh, Charles, William, Mary, Sarah, Margaret,
and Elizabeth. Thomas married Mary Wright and died in 1746.
General Thomas Craig, son of Thomas, was born Oct 26, 1739 . He was
engaged in farming and at the out break of the Revolutionary War entered
the army and rendered valuable service in the struggle for independence.
He was commissioned, Jan 5, 1776, captain of a company in Colonel St.
Clair's battalion, which saw strenuous service in the Canadian campaign.
On Sept 7, 1776, he was promoted to Lieutenant Third Pennsylvania
Regiment. He participated in the battles of Germantown, Monmouth and
Brandywine, and, to use his won words, "served faithfully from the
commencement of the late war to the end of it." It is said he was the
first officer to protect the Continental Congress and the first to march
to Canada. He retired Jan. 1, 1783. In 1784, he was appointed associate
judge, clerk of courts and recorder of Montgomery county, which position
he filled until 1789, when he removed to Towamensing township, now Carbon
In 1798, he was commissioned Major-General of the Militia of the state,
which position he held until 1814. Colonel Craig was at Valley Forge in
the winter of 1777-78, and it was through him that Mrs. Lydia Darrach,
conveyed to Washington that warning of Howe's expected attack at
Whitemarsh, she having overheard the plans discussed by the British
officers at her home. During the last years of his life he resided with a
daughter, Mrs. Kramer, at Allentown, where he died, Jan 13, 1832, aged 92
years, and was buried with military and masonic honors. The procession
marched to the cemetery to the funeral strains of the Bethlehem Band, the
tolling of bells and the firing of minute guns. After the ceremonies were
over, and the friends retired to the Lutheran Church, the Lehigh
Artillerists fired four salutes over the grave and then marched to the
church; where an impressive sermon was delivered by Rev. Joshua Yeager.
His remains were subsequently re-interred in Fairview cemetery.
General Craig married Dorothy Breinig, who was born in 1778 and died Sept
1, 1846. She is buried at Lower Towamensing church. They had six children:
Charles, Thomas, Eliza, Mary, Harriet and William.
Charles Craig, son of Gen. Thomas Craig, married Salome Beisel. Benjamin
Craig, son of Charles, was born in 1822 and died Jan. 10, 1861. He was a
merchant in Allentown and married Matilda Brobst, daughter of Jacob and
Anna Maria (Knerr) Brobst. They had two children: 1. Charles J. of
Allentown, who married Ellen Butz and had six children: Ralph; Harry;
Bertha; Edward, who died in 1904; Charles and Robert; and 2. Mary Alice,
who married James B. Roeder, and had two children: Frank C., who married
Carolina Helwig; and Annie, who married Hector Tyndale Craig, of Lehigh
Thomas Craig, son of Thomas and Dorothy (Breinig) Craig, was born in
Allentown in 1796. He attended the schools of his community, Wolfe's
Academy and a school in the Irish settlement for a few months. For many
years he conducted a hotel at Lehigh Gap, and also conducted general
farming and lumber business. In 1828, he became captain of what was known
as a troop of horse in the Pennsylvania militia.
Mr. Craig was married the first time to Miss Kuntz, who bore him two sons,
Thomas and Samuel. His second wife was Catharine Hagenbuch, daughter of
John Hagenbuch, then proprietor of a hotel at Lehighton. They were the
parents of six children: Thomas, who represented his district four years
in the house of representatives and three years in the senate; Eliza, wife
of General Charles Heckman, an officer in the Mexican and Civil Wars;
Allen, for many years judge of Carbon county; William, who move to
Nebraska and Robert, a captain in the regular army at Washington. Mr.
Craig died in 1858 and Mrs. Craig died in 1871.
Colonel John Craig, second son of Thomas and Catharine (Hagenbuch) Craig,
was born in Lehigh Gap, Carbon county, Oct 23, 1831. After attending the
common schools of his native place he attended the private school at
Easton conducted by Rev. John Vandeveer. He was connected with his father
in the lumber business and after his father's death, in 1858, he continued
the business for some time.
When the Civil War broke out, he was one of the first to offer his
services to his country, enlisting April 22, 1861, for three months. After
the expiration of this term of enlistment, he re-enlisted and was
commissioned captain of Company N. Twenty-eighth regiment, Pennsylvania
Infantry. Among the battles in which he participated were those of
Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary
Ridge, Ringgold, Chattanooga and a number of other engagements. Returning
to his home after the war he formed a partnership with his brother in the
general mercantile business under the firm name of J. & W. Craig. In 1882,
his brother, William, withdrew, from the firm and he conducted the
business alone, adding coal, lumber and fertilizer to his business. In
1875 when the National Bank of Slatington was organized, he became one of
the directors. In 1880 he became the president of the Carbon Metallic
Company. He served his community faithfully for a number of years as school director and
postmaster. From 1884 to 1886 he represented his district in the lower
house of the state legislature. In the fall of 1866 Col. Craig was married
to Emma Insley, daughter of Philip and Henrietta Insley, of near Bath. The
following children were the issue of this union: Thomas; Charles P. Insley;
H. Tyndale; Henrietta, wife of T. Griffith; Mary; Allen D.; and John D.
deceased. Mr. Craig died in 1908. During the latter part of his life he
Charles Craig, teller of the National Bank of Slatington, was born at
Lehigh Gap, April 7, 1869. He was educated in the public schools of his
home, the preparatory school at Easton and the Wyoming Seminary. He
assisted his father in the mercantile business at Lehigh Gap until 1892
when he became connected with the National Bank of Slatington as
Bookkeeper. This position he filled until 1902, when he was promoted to
teller in the same institution. He is a member of Slatington Lodge, No
440, F & A. M. and Slatington Chapter, No 292, Royal Arch Masons. He is a
member of the Sons of Veterans of Palmerton, which was named after his
father, " Col. John Craig Camp. S. of V. No 47."
He was married in 1895, to Bertha Shirey, daughter of B. and Emma (Medlar)
Shirey. They have three children: Emma, Thomas and John.
The first of the name Craig in this country emigrated about the close of
the 17th century, and located in Philadelphia. Thence in 1728 Col. Thomas
Craig moved to Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and settle in what was
afterwards known as Craig's or Irish settlement.
The name of Col. Thomas Craig appears upon the roll of the Synod of
Philadelphia for the first time in 1731, and by it we learn that he
occupied the office of elder. As it was in the year 1731 that the
Presbyterian Church was organized in the settlement, it may therefore be
supposed that he was the original elder. His son, Thomas, was but a lad
when his father came to this place. During his boyhood years he assisted
in clearing the land and tilling the soil, and after attaining manhood, he
engaged in farming for himself.
The next in line of descent was Thomas Craig, who was born in 1740. At the
breaking out of the Pennamite War, in 1771, he was made a lieutenant in
the Pennsylvania Militia, and his record was that of a gallant and
faithful officer. At the opening of the Revolutionary War, he was an
active champion of the Colonies, and on the 5th of January, 1776, was
commissioned captain, being assigned to Col. St. Clair's Pennsylvania
Battalion. After several engagements in the Canadian campaign, he was
promoted to the rank of Major in September, 1776, and in the summer of the
following year became colonel of the Third Pennsylvania Regiment. Under
the command of General Washington he did good service in New Jersey, and
subsequently took part in the battles of Brandywine and Germantown.
Mrs. Lydia Darrah, of Philadelphia, at whose house General Howe made his
headquarters, secretly learned of the general's intended attack on
Washington's Army, then in Camp at White Marsh, fourteen miles from the
city, conveyed the information through Colonel Craig, so that the Colonial
army was saved from a surprise and deadly attack. Colonel Craig remained
with the army at Valley Forge and from that place, April 12, 1778,
addressed a letter strongly appealing for clothing for the soldiers and showing their destitute
condition in that respect. In the battle of Monmouth his regiment was
conspicuous for gallantry and was in the thickest of the fight.
At the close of the war Colonel Craig returned to Northampton county, of
which he was appointed lieutenant in July, 1783. In 1784, Montgomery county
was formed from Philadelphia and he was appointed associate Judge clerk of
the courts, and recorder, all of which positions he held in 1789. He then
settled in the vicinity of Stemblersville, in Towamensing township, (at
that time in Northampton, now in Carbon county) For several years he was
major-general of the Seventh Division Pennsylvania Militia. His death
occurred in 1832, at the age of ninety-two years.
Thomas Craig was first married to Miss Kuntz, by whom he had one son,
Thomas. His second wife was Catherine, daughter of John Hagenbach, then
proprietor of a hotel at Lehighton. They became the parents of six
children, to whom they gave the benefit of wise home training and good
educational advantages. Thomas, now deceased, represented his district
four years in the House of Representative and three years in the Senate.
Eliza is the wife of Gen. Charles Heckman, an officer in the Mexican and
Civil Wars, now residing in Germantown, Pa. Hon. Allen Craig, for many
years a leading attorney of Mauch Chunk is now serving as district judge.
William resides in Nebraska. Robert is a graduate of West Point Military
Academy and was captain of the regular army stationed at Washington, D. C.
History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania and a genealogical and biographical
record of its families by Charles Rhoads Roberts, et.al, Allentown, 1914.More Lehigh County History Books
Search Hundreds of 1880s-1890s Pennsylvania County History
Books for biographies and historical information
on your ancestors. View the book page images on line and print them
out for your genealogy file!
Free Access to the old history books - plus birth & death records, census images and ALL other records at ancestry.com