CHARLES GABLE, proprietor Gable House,
Meadville, was born November 3, 1830, in Woodcock Township, this county,
on his fathers farm, son of John C. and Sarah (Frankfield) Gable, natives
of Lehigh County, Penn., and who came to this county in 1825, locating in
Woodcock Township. John G. Gable first engaged in agriculture, which he
followed two years, when he removed to Meadville and began the business of
teaming between Erie and Pittsburgh, an enterprise he conducted for six
years and then returned to agriculture, which vocation he continued to
follow until his death. To the union of John G. and Sarah Gable were born
seven children, five of whom are now living, residents of this county.
Charles Gable, our subject, the youngest surviving child, remained on the
farm with his father until he arrived at the age of nineteen, when he was
employed with his brother John, who was conducting the Crawford House in
Meadville. His engagement with his brother extended over a period of two
years, and on April 1, 1852, he assumed exclusive control and management
of the hotel, and retained this relation until 1856, when he formed a co-
|Gable House, Engraving from an
advertisement in the Kaldron, Allegheny College Yearbook, 1890,
click to enlarge
partnership with C. S. Eyre, and conducted a general
store on corner of Chestnut and South Main Streets, where now stands the
stone Methodist Church. Business was continued at this stand five years,
when it was removed to Tidioute, Penn., and in 1863 the partnership was
dissolved. Our subject then embarked in the, transportation of oil from
Pit Hole, Venango County, to Scotts Landing, Warren Co., Penn., by
flat-boat. This was in the spring and summer of 1863. The following winter
he owned teams and engaged in the transportation of oil from Oil Creek to
Titusville, Penn. On March 1, 1864, our subject purchased in Meadville the
property which he now occupies and conducts, known as the Gable House.
After nine years of prosperity he leased out his city property and moved
to the farm, formerly owned by his brother John, on the old State road,
which farm of 170 acres is beautifully situated and has been much
improved. In 1873 Mr. Gable retook possession of the Gable House, and
since that date has continued to conduct it with success. Our subject was
elected in 1882 to a seat in the City Council. He was married April 27,
1857, to Nancy A.
|Advertisement from Directory of
Crawford County, Pa. for 1871-72
Stainbrook, of Meadville, Penn. To this union have
been born ten children, nine now living: Arthur E.; Charles E., married in
1883, to Miss Florence Archer, of Meadville, Penn. (have one son, an
infant); Frank P.; Emmett E.; Carrie; Georgia, married in 1884, to A. H.
Steele, of Meadville, Penn. William H.; Burton and Hattie May.
History of Crawford County,
Pennsylvania: containing a
history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools,
churches, industries, etc., portraits of early settlers and prominent
men, biographies, history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous
matter, Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co., 1885, pages 739-740.
View image of this page of the book on line at ancestry.com.
Crawford County History Books
Search Hundreds of 1880s-1890s Pennsylvania County History
Books for biographies and historical information
on your ancestors. View the book page images on line and print them
out for your genealogy file!
Free Access to the old history books - plus birth &
death records, census images and ALL other records at ancestry.com